Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Indian Pueblo Cultural center


On our class visit to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center was a nice visit because that was my first time there.  When I first got there I remember thinking to myself what does this have to do with this class, but as I started looking at the build and how the space were used and how the building its self was a major part of the Native American community and how the design of the building reflected their culture.
As we made our way through the entrance there were a group of dancers in the center patio area of the building. This building and was built as a response that is Critically Regional, with the simulated walls that are thick and plastered with stucco, that repent the adobe walls. And the exposed Vigas, which are traditionally wooden beams that support the roof and are part of the building, these ones are simply fixed to the stucco.
And yet the Center might not be the best example of materials that they would have used I still think it reflects a historical past, it does serve as a perfect place for the community gatherings and events. While the architecture of the building does not reflect the culture like I think it should, the building does effectively serve as a place for the pueblos of New Mexico to come together in community.

No comments:

Post a Comment